Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Very Own Philosophy

There are multiple reasons why I decided to take TE448. One was that I really enjoyed TE348 and wanted to continue to learn more about children's literature and what books entail. Another reason was because as a future educator I feel it is my duty to educate myself on children's literature to establish a diverse, appropriate, and stimulating collection of books in my classroom library. Providing a community where differences are tolerable and acceptable is a goal I have as a future teacher. While I know that is easier said than done I want to help my students create a community where everyone is an important asset to the classroom; where no one is left out. Providing a diverse collection of children's literature I feel will better the students.

When I was in elementary school, the idea of multicultural literature was nonexistent. We would read books on African Americans throughout Black History Month and that was the extent of our multicultural learning. I do not want that to be the case. I want to present effective information on various multicultural literature as well as presenting books where men, women, boys, and girls are depicting in various appearances (black, white, Latino/a, Asian, Intuits, Native Americans etc.) in a way that will help the students understand how it should not matter if I am reading a book about a white person, a dog, a black person etc. What should really matter is the context of the book and what the author is hoping to have the reader get out of the book. I want to establish racial norms where it is common for the students to be presented with various races and ethnicities and that be okay. I want to help educate the students' parents and help them understand the importance of teaching their children acceptance and equality.

I understand it is not going to be an easy task of integrating such a diverse collection of literature in my classroom. I understand that there will be much criticism from possible other teachers, parents, friends etc. When it comes down to it though, I must think about my students and how I am going to help them open their eyes to a world of possibility and open mindedness. My personal philosophy, while there are many layers and ideas, can be summed up in this quote, "Love me for who I am and I will do the same for you." It is a dream yes, but it is a dream and a mentality that I will incorporate in my teaching until my dream has come true.

No comments: