Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Book Review #4: We'll Paint the Octopus Red


Stuve-Bodeen, Stephanie. Illustrator: Pam DeVito. “We’ll Paint the Octopus Red.” Maryland: Woodbine House. 1998.

This book is an introductory book on Down syndrome. Emma’s new baby brother Isaac was born. When she first found out her mother was going to have a new baby, she was hesitant on the matter. She began asking questions about things she could do with her new baby brother or sister and the more things she thought of to do, the more she liked the idea of having a new sibling. After the baby was born, Emma’s father informs her that Isaac has Down syndrome. She does not know with this means and her father explains that it may take Isaac a little longer to learn things etc. Emma becomes discouraged and believes she will never be able to do all of the crazy things with her brother now. Her father ensures her that she will be able to; Isaac will just need a little extra help on the way.

I really enjoyed this book. My cousin Johnny has Down syndrome and when I first was told he had it, I did not understand what that meant. I feel reading this book may have helped me understand a little bit about the differences someone with Down syndrome has in comparison to me. While it does not go into great detail about Down syndrome, the book does provide how it may be a little different than had Isaac not been born with it. This book is centered towards children ages 3-6 which I feel is very appropriate for this book. When looking at it is that regards, the information is not overwhelming for the child.

Another great thing about this book is that at the end of the book there is a questionnaire which discusses some of the major characteristics of Down syndrome to provide further education on the disorder. The questions are basic questions that children want to know and the answers are formulated in a way which the children will understand. I believe I would use this book in my classroom to present the idea that a child with Special Needs can do the same things as us, it may just take a longer or with some assistance to get it done. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and feel it portrays special needs in a positive way.

No comments: