Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Book Review #3: Why Can't Jimmy Sit Still


Tunis, Sandra L. Illustrator, Maeve Kelly. “Why Can’t Jimmy Sit Still?” New Jersey: New Horizon Press, 2004.

This book talks about a very hyperactive boy named Jimmy. Throughout the book the reader sees many of the symptoms of ADHD and how this disorder affects his behavior, ability to do homework, and just sit still. The book is narrated through the eyes of Jimmy’s best friend Michael Lee. The main objective of this book is to help children understand ADHD and how it affects their siblings, peers, parents etc. The author hopes that this book will create a better awareness for ADHD and how it is caused through the brain. I have worked with numerous students with different levels of ADHD and I feel this book does a good job presenting ADHD in a way where children see that it is not that the boy/ girl is bad, but that their brain is wired a little differently then ours.

While I do like the book and feel the context is necessary to discuss with students, I was not a big fan of the illustrations. I felt the complexity of the pages took away from what is being stated in the text. It could be that the illustrator meant to do this. Nonetheless, it caused a distraction for me. The book discusses possible solutions to helping people with ADHD. I personally know that having the child eat a well balanced meal can help the performance of them in the classroom. I wish the book had talked about some ways the doctors and parents can help. Another aspect of the book that I really enjoyed was the information at the back of the book with “Tips for Kids with ADHD” and “Tips for Parents.” I feel this is a great to help children with ADHD and parents work together to find healthy solutions.

I feel I would incorporate this in my classroom because ADHD is a commonly seen disorder and it is important for students to understand what it is and how it can affect a person.

No comments: