Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Brief Overview of Me

It has been awhile since I have written on a blog like technology. Again to reiterate, my name is Sarah Everett and I am a Senior at MSU. I am using this blog for my TE448 class which focuses on diversity in children's literature. Since taking TE348, which was the introductory children's literature course provided at MSU, I have become more interested in learning about diverse children's literature. As someone who grew up in a predominately middle to upper class white community, my upbringing lacks a diverse community of learners. Therefore, I wanted to take this class to help me become more knowledgeable as to what literature is considered diverse. How will I know whether or not the literature will be an affective asset to my classroom? How will I help promote my students to see new perspectives on unfamiliar races, cultures, sexual orientations, genders etc? To put it simply, I want to become more knowledgeable on the topic myself so when it is my turn to be the teacher, I can accurately converse and teach.

No comments: